History of London Bridge
London Bridge today is not the same London Bridge, which crosses the Thames when it was built. Peter, a priest and chaplain of St. Mary Colechurch, began the foundation of the original bridge in 1176 to replace a wooden bridge (expensive to maintain and repeatedly burned down), which was originally built by the Romans. The original London Bridge consisted of nineteen arches, each with an average length of 7 meters, and built on piers 6 feet wide. An early twentieth the bridge was crossed by a wooden drawbridge. With the construction of this bridge, a particular effect was discovered – the tide roared through the narrow arches every day with great force, which had been so dramatically affected that created a temporary 5-foot-high cataract every day, as it went in and out .. A new sport based on this nifty effect was “shooting the bridge” – slipping through the arches in a small boat when the tide was turning.
Pietro di Colechurch died in 1205, and his work was supplemented by three other citizens of London 1209. The bridge, already quite close to its function, it has become even closer (about 4 feet wide) where the shops and houses were built along both sides of the road right on the bridge itself, by 1358, 138 seats of activity were recorded in the tax lists. And, like almost all the old buildings of London, the shops were built so that the upper floors stretched over the road – finally, the bridge has become more like a long gallery full of shops, through which passengers and others flowed. One can only imagine the smell, the way to the shelter, no real drainage, and a lot of horses and people! The houses are built so that overhung the water as well as the track, and were anchored by tying them together along the road, with strong wooden arches. In 1580, water mills added to the general chaos of the bridge.
The bridge was not only a home and place of business, it was a defensible structure. More than once, its drawbridge was raised and the men who fought under his strong tower to repel the invaders and rebels, putting the wooden houses built on the bridge at some risk. Until after the Restoration Scotland, the bridge was often decorated with heads, quarters, or parts of the body of the executed, which had to be explained below. Not later than the year 1598, a German traveler counted over thirty heads.
But after both the bridge itself has become very dangerous for residents and travelers. Only three years after it was completed, a huge fire destroyed the buildings, killing perhaps 3,000 people when it jumped from one end of the bridge to the other, trapping wild fire-fighting the flames. The houses have been rebuilt in a hurry – and in 1282 five arches of the bridge collapsed under the weight of winter ice. But even they were rebuilt with their necessary buildings, and the bridge continued in London as the only crossing of the River Thames until 1750, when Westminster Bridge opened.
During this period, the engineer of Westminster Bridge was hired to repair and renew London Bridge. Redesign and repair is deemed necessary by the narrowness of the road, the huge bridge supports (which occupied about one fourth of the width of the river), and the dangerous sport of shooting and other dangers posed by the bridge deck. By 1762 the character of the bridge has been changed: all the houses were gone, the roadway was 14 feet wide, and the two central arches replaced by a large arc, allowing the transition much easier for larger boats.
Alas, this central arch has proved difficult to maintain, and in early 1800 a second bridge was built a few meters away. The original London Bridge was demolished in 1832. The new bridge was called Rennie’s Bridge. Designed by George Rennie and built by John Rennie, was composed of only five arches, with the central span reaching 46 meters. Rennie’s London Bridge has had a very strange end. It ‘lasted less than 140 years. Between 1968 and 1971, was dismantled and shipped across the Atlantic to the United States, where it was rebuilt in Lake Havasu City, where it still stands, crossing Lake Havasu, 255 miles south of Hoover Dam on the Colorado River. To see the London Bridge, the Londoners must fly 10,000 miles!
The current London Bridge is modern prestressed concrete with a central span of 104 meters.
Incoming search terms:
- GRAN QUENIO COLORADO
- bridge photos
- nature bridge
- water pollution wallpapers due to factories
Comments are closed.